Saturday, June 8, 2013

Barn Hunt...Sort Of



This morning my human got me up at 5am. Five. A. M. Do you know how early that is? Too damn early, that's how early. She took me for my walk at 6. Here's a picture of me on my 6am walk.

 'Nuff said.


Then our friends Scruffy and Yvette showed up and we all piled in the car. Hey! Why does he get to ride in the front seat!? Hmph.


We drove forEVer! Where are we going? Are you dropping me off at a farm? I think I want to go home now. We didn't go home. We went to Union Grove, Wisconsin. It's like 500 miles away. My human says not. Whatever. It's really far. When we got there they were having a Barn Hunt. A what? Why would anyone hunt a barn? Um, ok, there's the barn. Done. Can we go home now? It turns out we weren't hunting barns; we were hunting rats inside a barn. Why didn't you say so?



My human signed me up for 2 events. The first was the Instinct Course. I had 1 minute to go thru a course of hay bales where there were 3 plastic tubes and I had to tell my human which one had the rat in it. I went right to the rat one and let her know. She didn't get it. I had to go back and show her again. She got it! My human said I passed the Instinct Course.  I say my human passed it, but barely. Either way, I got RATI certified.


Then we stood/sat/laid around for a million hours. It was hot and I wanted to go home and go back to bed. Then I smelled something wonderful! I smelled bratwurst! MMMMMM!! Bratwurst!! And hot dogs! MMMMM! And potato chips! MMMMMMNGGGHHAAAHHHH!!!! I walked my human over to the bratwurst/hotdog/potato chip table. She walked me back out to the barn. What the?? I walked her back to the table and sat in front of it. She walked me back to the barn. Seriously, how dim can you get? It took me four tries to get my human to understand that I wanted a bratwurst! Sigh. She finally bought me a bratwurst. Um, I wanted a hot dog too. And chips! I only got a bratwurst.

Then we waited around some more. Here's a picture of me waiting outside the barn for the Novice Course.



 Do I look hot to you? I was hot.


Here's a picture of me and Scruffy waiting under a tent outside the barn.





Much better. Know what would be even better? An air conditioned car! We stayed by the barn. I finally got my human to go to the car, but she still didn't put the air on. Then it was my turn. I had 2 minutes to go thru another hay bale course and find a rat in a tube. The first one I smelled was something else. My human thought it was a rat and told the judge. Then I went and smelled another one. It had a rat in it. My human got it! She spent awhile trying to get me to go thru a little hay bale tunnel. I didn't see the point. Then our 2 minutes were up and we were done. My human did not pass, so I did not get RATN certified. Here's a picture of me in front of the Novice course.


I liked climbing on the bales of hay.

So, are we going home now? We went home. It seemed like a really long way to go for just part of a bratwurst. I give the barn hunt 1 Paw because of all the driving and waiting. Next time can we just have a barbeque and I'll dig a hole under a bush? When we got home I went back to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment